Monday, April 27, 2009

Jury Ending

Well, I wound up getting to serve on the jury, and it was a pretty good time.

It was a civil case, and we heard testimony on last Thursday and Friday. During voir dire (the jury selection process) it came out that I knew members of the staff of the defense counsel, and that he knew the partners for whom I work, but for some reason (perhaps because I swore that I could be impartial -- and I was), the Plaintiff's attorney didn't strike me. So, with a low number, I was on.

I won't go into detail, but it was a dry and number-intensive trial. I was taking a lot of notes and treating it like a training session. The most entertaining thing was a witness who was old enough to be quite hard-of-hearing. There was a lot of entertaining shouting in the courtroom.

In the end (or actually the middle), the case reached a resolution mid-day Friday without going to the jury. So, we were all released with the state's thanks befor lunch.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the Boone County Jury Commission. They did (and, I presume, consistently do) an excellent job of dealing with people like me who asked a lot of dumb questions and required a little extra hand-holding. I knew I was being annoying, but they never let on that they knew, too.

2 comments:

Steve H said...

During jury selection I always shout "Hang the Bastard!" and for some reason they never pick me. Go figure...

Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

I know you can update this thing now. Come on, *dramatic fists punching upward* Steve Jones!