Friday, June 19, 2009

A Recent Moment, Both Startling and Funny.

A couple of days ago, I was in court in Beattyville, Kentucky (Lee County). Kentucky, like Missouri, has many county seats that are small towns (but still the largest town in the area). Beattyville is one of those towns. It has a functional courthouse -- I'd guess it was built sometime between the 60s and the 80s; I suppose that's my way of saying that it's much more practical than pretty.

I'd been in court for a couple of hours, sitting through probate and civil matters and waiting for my cases to be called. In this particular court an older deputy will walk around to the attorneys, let you know that they will be ordering lunch, and offer to add you to the order. I've never stayed for lunch, but I think that's cool.

As I left the courthouse, and took my first steps out, I could hear -- perfectly timed with my egress -- the start of the whistled theme to The Andy Griffith Show. It was loud enough that for a split-second I thought that it was being played over louspeakers on the square. A moment later, I realized it was the cell phone of a woman standing on the steps.

There is ALWAYS a soundtrack to my life running through my brain, but it was startling to hear it being broadcast to everyone else, too.

1 comment:

Jared Brustad said...

Love it! That's crazy great!